Thursday, December 13, 2007

Welcome to the 21st Century


Curses! Looks like I might have to ride from Paris to Roubaix after all. I was hoping that -- after an Xmas stuffing myself with turkey, pudding and Newcastle Brown -- I might have a couple of tentative stabs at long rides then give up quietly, sneaking my bike back to the cellar and putting my feet up.

But Brian -- at the consistently entertaining Washing Machine Post -- has come up with some 21st Century multi-platform, social media shiznit that won't let me off the hook that easily.

First, he's told everyone on his blog about my plans. Then, he's recommended that I buy a book that will help build my base fitness level via heart-rate monitors, exertion levels, interval training etc.

I've got a heart-rate monitor somewhere, a relic of my marathon running days, but I've never been exactly scientific when it comes to training. I've always trained by "feel", loosely translated as riding a bit until I'm puffed and stopping for a cake -- which is probably why I'm so ludicrously slow.

If you've ever seen the film Overcoming -- you'll remember two things. First, the implacable physio Ole Kaare Føli, and his valiant efforts to stop Bjarne Riis's big bald head from imploding under terrifying stress levels. Second, poor old Carlos Sastre -- CSC's loveable Spanish nearly-man -- as he struggles in an unequal relationship with his power meter.

"I think maybe computer is more f*****ng clever than me" is his considered verdict, and I sympathise.

But it's time I moved into the modern world, so as soon as the book arrives I'll be mapping out a proper plan and doing intervals till my face turns blue.

Brian's training for London to Paris, I'm training for Paris-Roubaix -- we'll be comparing notes across the blogosphere.

I have a horrible suspicion that there's no going back now.

1 comment:

hippy said...

I got this book.. it's a bit too focused towards those with power meters (which I don't have).
Anyway, I'll take some of the info on board but now I have a coach so I can use her instead :)
I also got (on coach recommendation) Joe Friel's "Cyclist's Training Bible" but I've not read any to comment.