Friday, April 18, 2008

Wheel worries


You remember that scene in Belleville Rendezvous when Grandma balances a racing wheel at the dinner table with the aid of a tuning fork and a scale model of the Eiffel Tower? 

What do you mean, no? Go out and hire/buy it at once and refresh your memory.


Anyway, I've spent the last couple of days just like Mme Souza -- trying to get an annoying twitch out of my front Aksium.  Modern factory wheels aren't quite as easy to tweak as traditional hoops, and it's been a thankless task.

And I'm starting to think that a set of old school 36-holers might be the ticket for Roubaix.  I know that Aksiums - hardly the most glamourous wheelset but solid -- are supposed to be robust, but there's something unnerving to me about so few spokes. 

Ridiculous, I know -- I'd be better off losing a few pounds off my own bulky frame and therefore putting less stress on the bike, but I feel an e-Bay bargain hunt coming on.

Bombproof 10 speed Campags on Open Pros anyone?

5 comments:

Cycling past forty said...

I'm in no way connected to the company (thought I'd get that out the way first), but I was fantastically impressed when I asked Parker International to make up some new hoops for my fixie - Open Pros, DT Swiss spokes and Ambrosio Hubs at a really good price, beautifully true (still haven't had to tweak after a winter of abuse - why is this a shame?) and the speed of delivery was outstanding (about 4 days).
Highly recommended if you're in the market.....
Cheers
Tim
PS Although I think Brian would bite your arm off if you asked him to make you some!

The Flandrian said...

Good thoughts, thanks -- just been outbid for a set on e-Bay, it could call for a Plan B.

Simon said...

If you're interested, I have a pair of unused Record hubs (the ~2003 polished alloy version) built onto Open Pro CDs. Am in London as well, so could deliver.

The Flandrian said...

Simon
Thanks -- I've got another e-Bay bid in at the moment, but if that doesn't come off I might well be interested. What sort of money are you talking about?

Simon said...

I'd be looking for about what I paid, which from memory was £210