Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The fixed experiment starts here...


I've been riding fixed on the road for more than twenty years now; mainly for London commuting, saving my geared bikes for weekend jaunts, sportives and -- in the increasingly dim past -- racing.

And it's always been on 48x19 - otherwise known as 68 inches.  At least, according to my bible in the early years - Richard's Bicycle Book.  Other authorities (e.g the late Sheldon Brown) rate it lower (around 66) once you take account of 700c tyres.  

There was no particular science behind choosing that ratio -- when I built my first fixed, a mechanic clubmate recommended 48x19 as being best for my purposes and I've stuck with it.  He was right.  For a London commute over a relatively flat route, 48x19 ticked all the boxes.  Fast enough to keep up with traffic, but not so high that you needed Chris Hoy's legs to get it rolling away from the lights.   

But I gave up my "proper" job last year and now work from home and from a variety of digital boltholes -- so no need to commute.  

My fixed is now used for training around Richmond Park and the Surrey Hills, and I'm thinking of doing some sportives on it this year.  I even have a hare-brained notion of riding London to Paris in June without the benefit of gears, although I suspect I may come to my senses on that one.

So, after two decades, a lower gear is probably called for.  

On the plus side, a lower ratio should make it easier to get up some of my steeper training hills and encourage a more fluid, spinning pedal style.

On the minus side, my overall speed will probably be even slower and my legs may well unscrew from my hip-joints on long downhills.

Nothing ventured, however -- so I've taken delivery of a 46 tooth chainring and a shiny new KMS chain.  That should give me 66 inches in pre-decimal terms (65.4 to be precise).

I'll try it out later this week and report back.  All advice gratefully received, this is new territory for me.

No comments: