Saturday, February 14, 2009

Crunch time


Horrible realisation  that there's only about sixteen weekends left before I ride from London to Paris in aid of the Geoff Thomas Foundation.  I'd better start some serious training instead of faffing about in cafes drinking espresso and eating cake.  Robert Millar used to say the two most important elements of training were rest and proper food -- I'm good at those bits, it's the turning pedals round I struggle with.

Freezing cold this morning, hoar frost across the grass and patches of ice on the roads.   At least the fixed keeps you warm after the initial shock of the cold air.  I'm getting used to the 66 inches now -- it's not as easy up hills as I'd hoped, nor as spin-crazy down hill as I'd feared, but it definitely feels looser and smoother than the old 68. 

I've abandoned the idea of riding London to Paris on fixed, in my present level of fatnesss it would be a step too far.  Hope to get the new Schwalbe's on the road bike for the first of the London to Paris Sunday training rides next week -- when my true state of unreadiness may be revealed.

No comments: