Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Heroes

Later this week, my son and I may get to meet one of our great sporting heroes.  If it happens, readers of this blog can expect a full report and photos.  All three of you.

After twenty years or so as a journalist, I'm a little ambivalent about fame and celebrity. I've interviewed enough so-called heroes to have realistic expectations.  Some (Billy Bragg, Tanni Grey-Thompson, Tony Benn) have proved to be everything I hoped they would be.  Some (who shall remain nameless) have proved themselves to be complete a-holes. 

Twenty years ago, I interviewed a Living Cycling Legend.  He turned out to be charming, modest and funny,  but it was a short conversation before the interview that has stuck in my mind.  I was notionally interviewing him about his auto-biography which had been, inevitably, ghost-written by a journalist.

Me:  I really enjoyed the book.  (Writer) has done a great job -- it's not like most sports autobiographies, he's really managed to make it sound like you.

Living Cycling Legend:  Yes, I think he's done well. Loads of people have said that it sounds just like me.

Me: I imagine that must be an odd sensation -- what did you think when you first read the book?

LCL: Oh, I haven't read it.  

Me: But it's your autobiography -- the story of your life.  How can you not read it?

LCL: I suppose it is a bit odd. But I've never been one for the books.

Me: Err...but aren't you even a bit curious about what it says?

LCL:  Not really. (Long pause)  I did read a book once, though.  "Raise the Titanic", it was. Very interesting.  I enjoyed it.

Me:  But not enough to...

LCL: Read another one?  No, it's not for me.  Actually, I did read another book.  Can't remember the title now.  It was about the Titanic as well.  Didn't finish it, though.

Me (genuinely lost for words): Err....OK, shall we start the interview?

It's always struck me as an intriguing insight into the peloton, and a clear explanation of why Laurent Fignon was known, largely because he wore glasses and occasionally read a book without pictures, as The Professor.



 


No comments: