Sunday, April 5, 2009

This is the Post-Modern World


Riding through the city the other night, on my way to the launch party for the Ride Journal Issue 2, which I thoroughly recommend you buy -- and not just because it's got an article by me in it.

I came to a stop at a set of traffic lights in Stockwell, not always the friendliest part of town -- and a very large BMW rolled alongside.   The darkened window slid down and the driver, a middle-aged black man so large that he filled much of the passenger seat as well as his own, spoke:

"I love those sneakers, where d'you get them?"
"eBay -- they're pretty old, probably late eighties..."
"They're really cool, never seen anything like them -- what make are they?"
"Sidi, it's an Italian brand -- mainly cycling shoes.."
"Damn they're smart -- you a designer or something?"
"No, I just liked the colours"
"Well, congratulations, you're the first post-modern cyclist I've ever met"

And with that, the lights changed and he drove away.

Another reason to stop at red, you have the most intriguing conversations.

No comments: