Thursday, May 7, 2009

Put out more flags


I've always struggled with the idea of sporting patriotism.  I was eight years old when England last won the Football World Cup and, even though I was excited, I still didn't get why I should feel proud or inspired by the success of the eleven men on the pitch.  After all, I wasn't playing or contributing in any way, and it's an accident of birth that I happen to be English - not something that I can take any credit for.  

I still get annoyed when, as this week,  TV commentators assume that in a match between Chelsea and Barcelona, British fans will be rooting for the London team.   Thousands of "neutrals", like me, prefer a club with a long history of forward-looking, stylish play and deep roots in their community to the over-financed, arrogant plaything of a billionaire gangster.  And in a Barca/Man Utd final?  I won't be in a minority in cheering on the Catalans.

I've found it refreshing that, as a British cycling fan, the nationality of riders or teams has never been a big issue.

I loved Robert Millar's steely, obsessiveness and his superb style as a climber, but the fact that he was Scottish was largely irrelevant.   He was, anyway, more continental than most other members of the peloton and his rejection of so much that was parochial and small about British cycling was a key part of his personality. 

My other favourite riders and teams -- Bernard Hinault, Mario Cipollini,  Jens Voigt, Carlos Sastre -- have rarely been British.  You only have to read Tim Moore's brilliant comparison of photographs of Hinault and Boardman to understand why the Englishman is admired but never attracted a passionate following.

I enjoyed the success of the British track team but mainly because I admired them as athletes, their dedication and attitude, and the way that the team management brought focus and professionalism where none had existed before.

But now we have something different -- world class British road riders (Cavendish) and soon teams (Sky) -- that leave little excuse for not being patriotic in your support.

I'm going to enjoy this Giro, as one of the last where I can, conscience-free, support teams and riders of any nationality.


No comments: