Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Man in Black


Freezing fog in Richmond Park this morning, an unexpected downer after days of clear blue skies.  

Halfway up the hill that leads to Richmond Gate, a police car was parked on the roadway -- doors open and a WPC standing alongside.  She took the opportunity to shout at me, berating my stupidity.  Given that I was grinding my way up a long hill on a fixed gear, she had quite a bit of time to express her opinions.  She was a bit like one of those mad Dutch fans on Alpe D'Huez, only slightly less encouraging.

"Oi, you!  Perhaps you should consider getting some lights on your bike!  Or maybe wearing a yellow jacket or something on your top?  'Cos you're not very visible in this weather, are you?  Just a little tip.  Bit of friendly advice, might stop you getting killed...."

And on she went.

In reply, I just waved in a friendly fashion and said "Thank you, officer!"  Partly because I was so short of breath that I didn't feel like engaging in longer discourse.  And partly, of course, because she was right.

I'd left my lights on the hall table -- it was daylight outside, after all.  And I was wearing my Rapha softshell -- highly commended for style and comfort, nuls points for its hi-viz police-friendliness. 

I skulked round for another few laps, chastened -- while idiots in cars with no lights hurtled past inches from me.  I met up with a club-mate, resplendent in our bright red and yellow winter kit and used her as a human shield from the half-blind four-wheelers.

I always use lights at night, and try to dress conspicuously - within reason -  but I'm not 100 percent convinced how much difference it makes.  At its worst, visibility today was down to a couple of hundred yards.  If you can't see another human being -- even one dressed all in black --- at that distance, you really shouldn't be out on the roads. 

Some of the drivers who went past today were engrossed in hand-held mobile conversations, one was texting.  It's a given that WPC Plod won't have shouted at them.

After 30 years of riding in London, I remain convinced that confident road positioning and speed are as important to your safety as bright clothing. 

To be honest, you could have lit yourself like a Christmas tree today, with a roman candle up your jacksie, and still not guaranteed that you were seen.

Let's be careful out there.


No comments: