Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Slippery Slope


I've always been a sock purist.  Short, plain and white -- the only only acceptable covering for a cyclist's lower leg.  

However, I have been tempted from the paths of purity and righteousness by a rather fetching item from someone calling himself "The Sock Guy".  Bright yellow "Lion of Flanders" socks -- how could you resist?

Luckily, they aren't available in the UK at the moment -- Wiggle claim to sell them, but they're not in stock. 

So I turned for my pressing sock needs to Prendas -- planning to buy a couple of plain white pairs to keep me going.  Temptation loomed in the form of some stylish Italian champion tricolores, and some Belgian ones done out in red, black and yellow and the slogan "Biere, Frites et Merckx". 

Reader, I succumbed.  They're still short -- and mainly white -- but I fear it may be the first step on a road which leads to the ultimate shame -- calf-length, black Lance-a-likes.

Lovely day today.  My legs came out for the first time this year, along with my summer-weight blue Dauphin kit (Hello, girls!).

Spring may be just over the horizon. 

1 comment:

hippy said...

White socks are silly.. first sign of rain and they turn black or brown from the road grit. Black is where it's at.