Thursday, July 10, 2008

As I was saying....













...before I was so rudely interrupted.  

Well, what a cock-up that was.  Regular readers of this blog, who I estimate number about three, will have noticed a distinct lack of posts.  And a distinct lack of news about my efforts in L'Enfer Du Nord. 


To cut a long and deeply depressing story short, I had to pull out with about a week to go when it became clear that the shoulder injury I picked up in the Alps in March was not going to heal any time soon, in fact it was getting worse.  

A week's, probably ill-advised, surfing in Devon was the final straw. 

There followed a long period of gloom, and not much on-bike time -- since even relatively short rides would result in numbness and an inability to perform relatively simple tasks, like eating or brushing my teeth.  

I didn't feel much like writing.

But, it's slowly getting better. To the extent that I've entered a longish (155k) sportive in September as a kick-start to my training for 2010

As to the blog - keep checking back.  I was spurred into posting by two things - first, Richard Lee's rather nice Cycling Art blog, which features a link to here -- shamefully showing no new contributions for two months.

And second, this fabulous picture from Stage 3 of the Tour.  Bernard "Le Blaireau" reminding a misguided protester why he was justly regarded as the hardest man in the peloton, and why nobody ever tried to take liberties on his watch.

Chapeau, Bernard -- a blow for old blokes everywhere.




4 comments:

Richard said...

I'm glad you've come back. I guess that I'm one of the three. No matter, I can't wait for the next post!

Welcome back!

hippy said...

So, which sportive have you entered?

The Flandrian said...

The Southern Sportive -- on September 14. I think it runs over the South Downs...

Cycling past forty said...

I reckon you've got more than three, but I was getting a little tired of just seeing those tiger stripes....

(and I'm hardly in a position to throw stones with the one post to my name, but I do enjoy your blog very much)

Like richard said - welcome back!