Monday, July 14, 2008

Just passing





32 quite hilly miles today, at a good fast pace.  My shoulder feels as though someone's  sticking a knife in-between the bony bits, but it's a big improvement on a month ago.







My riding companion and I took to discussing the general miserableness of some of the bikies you see out on the road -- with their head-down, grimacing unwillingness to acknowledge anyone else. 

Maynard Hershon has some theories on it, and Michael Hutchinson wrote recently in the Comic on a related theme -- what's the etiquette for passing a slower rider?  To talk or not to talk, to acknowledge or not?

To be honest, that's probably a bigger question for Hutch than me -- these days I sometimes struggle to pass old ladies on their Raleigh Shoppers (some of them have a vicious final sprint).

But there is one area of etiquette that does trouble me -- passing female riders.  Again, most women steam past me while I'm out on the road, but even I catch up and pass the occasional slower female cyclist.   

There seem to be three options, none of which is ideal:

  • Put on a burst of speed and shoot past, reinforcing their belief that male cyclists are arrogant show-offs who have to display their testosterone-fuelled physical superiority at every opportunity
  • Pass more slowly, offering pleasantries about the weather, the gradient of the road etc.,   probably raising the fear that this is a socially-inept attempt at a chat-up, and that if she responds she'll be stuck with you for at least the next ten miles
  • Dither about, not passing her --  which suggests that you are simply a  pervert and are taking the opportunity to study her lycra-clad bottom
More complicated than you thought, isn't it?

I've taken to passing at a medium speed and offering a carefully-modulated, non-committal greeting, without making eye-contact.  

Most respond in kind -- some with a faint note of surprise in their voice,  although I'm not sure whether it's because they've been spoken to, or simply that this red-faced, wheezing fatty is somehow going slightly faster than them.

I'll continue my experiment and report back.  All other views welcome.





No comments: