Monday, January 21, 2008

Fashion Crimes


Or not. My resolve to stick to a low HR diet lasted a couple of miles, until my riding partner cranked up the speed on the first hill and I had to step it up or be left behind. I genuinely see the long-term possible benefits, but it's much harder to stick to than I thought.

At one point we latched on to the back of a reasonably quick group of about 20, in fairly tight formation -- and I was able to wonder again at the beauty of a small peloton, the thrill of being part of such an efficient machine.

Two things spoiled my enjoyment. The first was the realisation that our rapid progress owed much more to a 20-mph tailwind than any efficiency on our part. The second was the way one of the riders in the pack was dressed.

Did I miss a meeting, or an e-mail from British Cycling HQ? Since when has it been acceptable to wear long football socks on a bike? The guy had fairly normal cycling clothes and shoes -- but spoiled the effect with knee-length white socks with stripes on.

I'm a tolerant man, and no-one who cycled through the '80's is free from some pretty serious fashion crimes on their cycling rap sheet, but there are limits. I know that new people are taking up cycling from all sorts of backgrounds and other sports, and they may not be aware of some of the unwritten rules. And some of those rules are probably due changing anyway.

And yes, all cycling clothing is capable of making even relatively stylish individuals look like numpties.

But knee-length socks? If you see him on the road, please have a word.

2 comments:

AR said...

Hi - I’ve been following your blog with interest for a while. I have to agree that football socks anywhere except on a football field are to be frowned upon. In fact even on the pitch they look daft. The offender was probably a triathelete.

My blog, cyclostyleuk is dedicated (when I’m not distracted by other cycling trivia) to the sartorial aspects of riding a bike. My theory is that cyclists are attempting to form an elite club and what you wear is all part of the “code”. Just like the Masons.

Rather than ridiculing the sock wearer, perhaps you should take an alternative approach. Dress in “normal” clothes, find a group of lycra’d cyclists and then watch their faces drop them. Obviously you’ll need to find a group that you can cycle faster than. There's an additional benefit all the extra drag from baggy clothes or a fleece top will do wonders for your training.

The Flandrian said...

An interesting idea. There used to be a fashion in the hot-rodding community for so-called 'Q' cars or 'sleepers' - ordinary looking family sedans with very powerful engines. The idea was to give a nasty surprise to the drivers of superficially faster cars.

I suppose the cycling equivalent would be to wear a fat-suit and ride a Raleigh step-through shopper -- then put on a vicious turn of speed at the front of the local chaingang.

Can't see it catching on.

You're right about the "elite club" -- although I think our dress code and customs are less harmful than most.