Saturday, January 19, 2008

Spintime

The torrential rain forecast for London this morning never arrived.  But the wind did.  A horrible, howling headwind that meant I had to stand up for the slightest incline.

Which was another reason my training schedule took a bit of a dive.  I had an hour to get from home to Richmond Park, round it at least once and back home and, because of the threat of rain, I was riding my fully-mudguarded fixed.

I suspect that even Miguel Indurain would have struggled to do that on a 69-inch fixed and keep his heart-rate as low as mine is supposed to be at the moment.*

So it was head down, grit teeth and spin like buggery and I left the heart monitor in the drawer.

I think it's safe to say that the time spent "in zone" was zero -- certainly after I clipped my shoes in.

Back home, I frantically flipped through "the book" in the hope that I could somehow  categorise this morning's session as a "rapid cadence block" or a "threshold spinning period" or some such 21st Century shiznit.  

I eventually found it listed under a "slightly-better-than-stinking-in-your-pit-but-not-much session."

Made me feel better though. Back to the book tomorrow. If it doesn't rain.






*Actually I suspect Big Mig would have done it without even going above 30bpm.


No comments: